[RC] [Guest] Mustangs & Treatment - Ridecamp Moderator

Jeanne Pepper pepperja@xxxxxxxxx
I'm begining to think that the nature of the two breeds may have more to do with need to treat or not.We've all had those Arabs that give you the sense they would literally run themselves to death given the chance,in fact they are some of our greatest champions.They have to be ridden carefully and wisely or they will get themselves into trouble.I've noticed a mustang has a little more of the survival instinct,similar to a mule,in that they will slow down if they have to,whether the rider wants them to or not!Both horses need to be in excellent condition to compete but the Arab may fool even the most experienced rider into letting him race faster than he should that day and end up in trouble.I can't see a mustang going there.They're probably going to be harder to train & condition for that reason but will be a partner who's opinion you can trust.I LOVE my Arab but he's a crafty fellow with his own agenda(GO FAST!)and we argue about rate at every ride.He thinks he's a superhero but we may never find out if he can fly because only I know how much conditioning he's had during the season or when his next race is and I never want to see him needing treatment after a race.And now we have returned to the "protecting our horses"thread which is far more important than what breed we ride.We can't make everyone ride mules or mustangs so we need to educate when we can and regulate what we must.I'm not one for more rules but I do think the Australians have a good method.It doesn't really change a person hell bent on winning at any cost but the young or new horses are introduced to the sport under control of the organization which I personally agree with.I've seen far too many 5 year old horses at the front of the pack on a fifty,win a few rides and disappear from site.No one says anything.Often it is a new rider as well.This could be ended with the step-up system.Just a thought.pepper