RE: [RC] who are we to" align" with? - David LeBlanc

It really boils down to playing the political game correctly. Either we're
losing trails because we're wrong and horses shouldn't be out there, or
we're losing trails because we're not playing politics well enough. I think
it is because we?re not playing politics well enough. One of the most
important things about politics is taking people that used to oppose you and
turning them into advocates. It's done by finding common ground and
education.

I have a friend who started a software company. He doesn't know how to run a
company, can't program worth a damn - he did have some good ideas. If he'd
had any sense, he'd have known that he would never get anywhere. One thing
he did have was an unrelenting optimism. When faced with a problem, he
always asks - "What _can_ we do? Can we start there, and figure out some of
the rest later?" This kid (I think he's still in his 20's - might be barely
30 now) is worth about $100 million now. The guy is a lot younger than I am,
but he taught me a fair bit.

If we're going to solve this problem, we need to do it by getting real
research that shows what effects we really have. If there are myths, we need
to debunk them - with science. We need to turn some of our powerful
opponents into friends, and we need to get more in tune with the political
process. My father used to be a lobbyist. No bill that he opposed ever
passed. He worked in every branch of the government, except judicial. I
learned a lot about how politics works from watching him work. We had
senators and representatives over for dinner regularly. I may indeed be
naïve about many things, but I (perhaps arrogantly) think that politics is
not one of them.