[RC] [Guest] AERC PRESIDENT AND MEMBERS HEROES IN SO CAL FIRE - Ridecamp Moderator

Dorann LaPerch bonnfyrefarms@xxxxxxxxx

Today is the first day I have phone service since the fires roared through
the town of Moorpark early on the morning of October 26th.

I sit here, with everything around my 26 acre Moorpark property
scorched.  It looks like the moonscape.  Yet I sit here with my house, my
mothers house and my horse facilities completely unscathed, while my
neighbor across the street and my neighbor one property over are without
homes.

I cannot give complete credit for this to the firefighters, who were indeed
awesome, but I have to give a lot of the credit to my very dear friends who
went above and beyond in staying here at my ranch before, during and after
the fire. These four would spend an entire night with our firehose and
garden hoses watering down around my house, my moms house, the barns, the
haystacks, my 2000 pound pet steer, my giant pet pig and my llama, as well
as "looting" my moms house of what treasures we needed saved.  You see the
fire department upon arrival felt they were not going to be able to save my
moms house.

We did not evacuate the 70 horses we have here at the ranch both on
previous advice of the fire department and to our very own AERC President
Mike Tomlinson who was here at the ranch.  Our horses are in a very clear
area with nothing that could really burn around them.  I did evacuate my
personal pets which included my Three Parrots, nine dogs, three cats and a
pot bellied pig.

I was gone for several hours situating my animals at an office building in
Simi Valley.  I cannot tell you how scared I was in leaving, but I could
not have left my facility in better hands for that time I was gone.

Words cannot adequately express how blessed I feel to those who helped.

My greatest thanks to those who stayed that entire night:

Dr. Mike Tomlinson our President
Bryan Gran (AERC member and LD Committee)
Dr. Rebecca Florio (AERC member and often Vet at rides)
Pam George who WALKED up our canyon around police barricades to get here at
midnight
and
Marc Watson- My love and my hero for getting me back to the farm before the
flames hit and helped make the stand when it was needed.

Sincere thanks to Dr. Cynthia Binder for taking three of my dogs, and
taking my mom to her house for the night.   Thank you Debbie Tomlinson and
Stacy Gran for leaving your husbands here with me to help.  Sue Magnusson,
Gregorr Magnusson, Brent and Cheryl Lamb (all AERC MEMBERS) for spending a
long Sunday night putting out spot fires and watching for looters.

Bryan Gran and Rebecca Florio took photos before and during the fire which
can be viewed at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/98377382CUjEAA

Dorann