[RC] joint epiphisitis - Marlene Moss

Hello,

I have a 5 month old arab mustang colt, that from the day he hit the ground, everyone says he is the biggest colt they’ve seen for his age and breeding.

I just tried a new vet today (we moved recently) after finding someone with experience with distance riding.  He estimated the colt to be 7-9 months old – but that he has epiphisitis.

I have been aware of the concern of a young horse growing too fast, he’s been fed grass only and is getting half the amount of Equine Junior with beet pulp that is suggested for his size.

The vet has recommended that we switch to something with less protein or cut it with oats.  The first vet we tried here didn’t notice anything and I’m sure this is not a recent thing as we’ve noticed his joints are big – but stupidly thought that it was just because he was going to have these wonderful solid legs and joints like his mustang mom.

So, although I know we’re not going to see an overnight effect from reducing protein in his feed, I’m sure we’ll be doing the right thing for him.  Is there anything else we should consider and what precautions should we take or things should we keep an eye out for in the future.  Does this cause long term worry for his endurance career?  Would x-rays be wise at some point to see how things work themselves out?  I am NOT finding as much info on the web as I want!!!

Yes, this is our first baby – at least I don’t call the vet every day or week with panic any more!  But he is our first foray into what we hope becomes a breeding program with arabs and mustangs and everything else about him is just amazing.  Today was also his second day of trailer training (first was for our move and not exactly done by his choice) and he looked at the trailer for about 10 seconds and walked right in once he figured out how to get his hind feet up that high.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a baby this calm!  I suppose that may be a good thing that he’s not always stressing his joints with this problem???

Thanks for any advice!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

Moss Rock Endurance Adventures