[RC] Oroville ride - Scott Johnson

Zowie! You all have been busy this weekend! I just wanted to throw in a quick blurb about the Lake Oroville ride here in the west. I did not ride but crewed for my fellow team members (That's Team Slow Poke). Kathy runs a well organized event and has lots of great volunteers helping out. As has been the case since I've been attending, the lunch vet check has volunteers making sandwiches to order, plus other tasty snacks and drinks. A local doctor, who is an avid cyclist, donated all the food and recruits people to help out. HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!?! The location of this vet check is also great- it's at a horse camp that has water spigots, corrals, hitching posts, FLUSH toilets, showers (not sure too many people actually used the showers), and of course they provide lots of hay and carrots. It's really a nice spot. The weather cooperated too. Up until about a week ago, it has been pretty darn hot here in CA. A cold front finally moved in and the trails got some rain Friday and it cooled down considerably. Made for great riding conditions. I heard one of the vets comment that the horses were looking so great and the cool weather was a big help. There was a delicious meal Saturday afternoon/evening and awards. Here's the bummer (in my opinion). There were 128 riders and I counted about 30 people (and not all were riders) at the awards. Now granted, they handed out awards after riders finished (and pulsed down for the LD's), but STILL! They had other awards, like best costume, longest drive, an award for any local riders, juniors, etc. There was a table of things they had to give away and were hard pressed to find people to give it to.
Anyway, thanks again Kathy for putting on this Limited Distance/Endurance ride/race (whatever floats your boat) :)

Dede
Team Slow Poke
(Hope to ride it next year!)