Re: [RC] What is Real Endurance!! - DVeritas

In a message dated 11/2/2003 11:08:19 AM Mountain Standard Time, Lyoness@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Dear Ridecamp,

I have tried to avoid joining this discussion as these "labels" we place on each other are really rather shallow in addressing the bigger issues that AERC needs to address; however, I cannot stay out this morning---just toooooo much lawyer in me to miss this opportunity, even though I know that I won't change any of the "Oldtimers" minds.
    Dear Joane,
         I don't know you.  I did see your efforts at the Black Hills rides.  From my self-inflicted emotional constraints as a throttled-back, I-don't-care-what-other-distances-people-ride-if-they-are-good-to-their-horses-and-leave-me-alone horse rider, I sure wondered who that women from the western slope was that had done such a great job riding and sponsoring her way through two days up at Paschal's ride.
         It was you.
         All I'll say, at this point, is, my but you have ridden a lot of the mountain region this year, in a variety of terrain and hauling requirments.
         Way to go!
         I didn't do as many miles as you did this year, but they were fifty's and a hundred.  So, in some ways, riding your LD's, you might have actually supported this organization more than me this year.
         Endurance riders have soooo much more with which to deal than just riding the trail correctly... attending so many different rides, under so many different conditions involves a dedication and caring for the horse and sport, it doesn't matter what distance is ridden, it is commendable.
         So, all that said, I'd rather see beautifully ridden LD's filled with the compassion and respect for the horse and trail that riders like you exhibit (and the manner you use to impart that respect to juniors) than a sloppy fifty or a hundred ground out that reveals so little of the same.  Seeing a fifty or a hundred beautifully ridden is awesome, as we all know and for me, is hard to equal regardless of sporting endeavor.
         My efforts over the last 15/16 years have resulted in some "ugly" rides, lacking enough compassion, enough "feel" for what is truly important.  At some point, I finally found the rider I wanted to be...I's alone in the pines, lost in the dark and LOVING IT.   Losing the need to hurry down the trail, I found myself.
          There is beauty to be shared on the trail, regardless of the distance.
          I would hope we'd all find it.
          Name-calling, whether it is "newbie" or "oldtimer" is just counterproductive.
          The new riders in this sport will one day be the old riders of this sport....cause once a rider "gets it", it can't be released in favor of a golf course, a day at the mall, an afternoon drinkin' beer in front of a television watchin' a football game.
          As Becky likes to tell me, just get on your horse and get out of here....
           --Frank Solano