To: GarnerT
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2003 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Vets

Oh no, your post was fine.  I was just curious.  I was a pulse taker at a new ride in tx a few weeks ago and it made us all SO MAD that everyone would just "bust time" as we call it...they wouldn't bother to even check.  I guess it is sorta a pet peave of a lot of us "older riders' that "these new riders don't even know how to take a pulse"...and it's true.
We are sorta the opposite...we are very patient with the LD, but there was a lady whom we were a bit short with...she was running 2nd (some real "hot shoes" there) and was obviously clueless about her horse's pulse.  Now THAT makes us mad..you've got no business running up front when you don't know what you are doing.
We pull our hair our trying to educate riders, and Susan is exactly right..the ones that need educating don't come to the convention...but even some of the FEI types still override their horses..so I don't know which is worse...ignorance that has the ability to learn, or those who know better!
We solve most problems at our ride meeting.  Our vets often (remember Dane is from here) "put the fear of God" in the riders at the meetings.
You are lucky if people carry stethoscopes in their packs.  I sometimes think I am the only one anymore!  I used to give out stethoscopes as completion awards at my Movin On Up 50..a ride geared to first time 50s.  But after 3 years, I had complaints that people didn't want them!
Happy Trails!  Always nice to see how rides are done in different regions.  The only ones I've been involved with out west are multidays or the Tevis.  I remember well Darolyn helping Bruce (my husband) trying to get his horse's pulse down at Foresthill, as there was a THIRTY MINUTE penalty and the way he was riding that would put him behind the 8 ball.
Louise
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians
http://pages.prodigy.net/firedancefarms