RE: [RC] saddle help - David LeBlanc

Nancy Reed said:

The current saddle, Abetta endurance w/ fleece, is only 6 months old. I
tried over 5 different saddles to find this one and I am NOT happy to have
to go through this process againL.  Should I go to a treeless?  I know her
back will change many more times as she is 5 years old. [She just added a
shoe size - 0 to a 1]   Bob Marshall is too long and rubbed her loins.  How
are the Torsions/Reactor Panels?  Any other more western style endurance out
there that is light and small? Are the Tuckers too heavy?
---------------------

The only thing we use our Abetta for is a saddle rack in our stock trailer.
It does _not_ go on a horse anymore (though it sort of works on our old QH).

We've tried a bunch of different saddles - a DeSoto (Marilyn Horstmeyer)
still works great on one of our horses, another goes very well in an
Ortho-Flex. I ride mine in a Reactor Panel, bought after a crash caused some
nasty back problems. I really like it - the concept behind it is I think
very solid. The people who sell them are some of the best and most helpful
vendors I've ever dealt with. They got my money 2 years ago, and I just got
off the phone earlier with Lisa who spent a couple of hours helping me get
the fit just right - the horse has changed, so we changed the saddle to
match. Reactor Panel isn't cheap, and they are all English-style, but I feel
more secure in my RP than I do in a Western-style now that I'm used to it.

Something else I'd strongly recommend, esp. if you're working with a
standard solid tree saddle, is the Equimeasure kit. You can easily make a
mold of your horse's back, then stick it into saddles and feel around to see
what fits and what doesn't.

The fact that the horse's back will change is another thing I like about the
Reactor Panel - I can keep changing the saddle as the horse changes. They
can also give you a try-out saddle at a reasonable charge so you can see how
you like it. I also just can't say enough good things about how supportive
they've been.

The Specialized Saddles are also a cool concept - they can be changed
around, too, and do come in Western style.

Now I really need to get back to work...