Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] AERA Fatalities - Doing Much Better than AERC - Heidi Smith

>I have always believed some of the toughest, best built Arabians ended up down (can I use those two words like that?) in Australian.  I love 'em.

Furthermore, until the show bug hit just recently, the Aussies have done a creditable job of continuing to breed their horses along the same philosophies of usefulness that the founder breeders did--and the show bug has so far only "infected" a minority of them, as several continue to breed specifically for endurance and other ridden endeavors.

On another note--a poster on a small private list made a comment that sparked a connection to me...  Horses who are not in trouble tend to fly through vet checks with relative ease, having no difficulty in meeting veterinary criteria, but the riders who habitually have problems are often observed working their fannies off "crewing" their horses to meet pulses, walking around in circles to prevent stiffness, etc.  While I have intuitively observed this as a ride vet, and have always taken the need for such efforts as a rider as an indication to wait longer, or slow down, or pull, I had never quite articulated the correlation verbally.  This is a good point to include in educational efforts--if the horse REQUIRES efforts on your part to pass the veterinary exam, then there should be bells and sirens going off in your mind as to his ability to continue down the trail, at least at the same rate or in the same fashion that one has BEEN going.  THIS is the beginning indication that the horse IS being overridden, EVEN IF YOU PASS THE VET!!  This goes hand-in-hand with the concept of exit checks, where one can check for progressive recovery and where reduction or absence of gut sounds has much more relevance than it does when one comes steaming in fresh off the trail.  I know that ONE thing the Aussies do is ascertain that horses have dropped their pulses considerably below the pulse criterion before continuing on, and that the failure to do so raises a big neon red flag...

Heidi