Re: [RC] who is captain of the ship - Tiffany D'Virgilio

Title: Re: [RC]   who is captain of the ship
on 10/31/03 9:45 AM, McGann, Barb at BarbMcGann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I came to endurance to escape the show world and the "judging" world.  I want the clock and myself to be the judge!

If I couldn't ever ride my mare at speed and this became a horse show, I would go back to being a trail rider who puts in 30 miles a week. I don't ride fast all of the time, but my mare prefers a faster pace, is conditioned for it, has been sound on the same regime for years...and most of all it is what makes both us of the happiest and most harmonious as a team.
I want to keep her sound for all her years, but she loves being able to race her shadow down a trail. And so do I. That is one of the many reasons that I came to this sport after doing many other equine pursuits.

If you take the speed out of the equation it still would not solve all the horse deaths. I'd be willing to bet that a very slow 50 in the hot sun is just as hard or harder on a horse then a middling time. Three hours less working in the sun seems preferable to me, if that is a reasonable and safe speed to travel for that trail.
Tiffany