Re: [RC] [Guest] Minutes of the AERC BoD Conf Call Meeting Online - Laurie ... - Heidi Smith

>I would rather see a person spend a year working up to a 25 mile ride, and have a horse that is relaxed, eats, drinks, good recoveries and well behaved......than some of the folks I have seen who do 3 25 mile rides then go and try to top ten a 50....

To add a somewhat different perspective, again, no one approach is right for all horses, and I'd rather see a person do what is right for that individual horse.  If the horse is one that "comes out of the box" ready to go, but needs "Ride Camp 101" for educational purposes, then a 25 in the early phases of training may be appropriate.  If the horse needs 50 to get his attention, then a slow 50 even before he is fully fit is in order.  If a horse needs a year of conditioning at home in order to do 25 miles, then indeed that is what he should get.  One size does not fit all, and the appropriate beginning is what fits that individual horse the best.

Heidi