RE: [RC] Schizophrenic captain of the ship: In Howard's defense - A. Perez

Angie wrote:
" I am totally confused. Was it not about this time last year
that you took a horse you'd just had a couple of months and
finished his 2nd 50 in 2nd place in 4:34? Didn't you tell us the
joys of him running side by side against a Thoroughbred for an
entire loop? And you're going to get the Yahoos in control?
Physician, heal thyself.

Angie"

Not remembering this story, I went to the archives.
There I saw that, aware he had ridden hard the PRIOR loop,
Howard rode with the T.B. "...trotting, walking, drinking, with
the occasional canter...", and then, when she took off, he
dismounted his horse, loosened the girst, and WALKED in, on
FOOR, the last two miles.  But he still admits he was pushing it
in the 3rd loop and notes...

"Finally, don't try this on your own.  Please.  Don't say to
yourself, "If Howard can do this (ride fast), so can I."  And,
besides, it's not the rider, it's the horse.  America was
labeled a "total runaway," when I purchased him.  He's come
around since then, but, what I'm doing with him is a gamble.  I
am taking some chances, maybe, too early, but I don't and won't
ride him like this at every endurance ride I attend.  I pick my
own battles, and try to space them out quite a bit.  Join me at
GATOR RUN next week.  It's a great trail, I will not be going
fast at all, I'm going for the miles, and I'm going to ride
America in only one of the three day rides that week-end"

Yes, maybe he was pushing his luck, but I don't think it
quelifies him as a Yahoo -- the Yahoos are the ones who don't
even have a clue where the edge is, let alone the fact that they
are one it.  Howard has made his share of mistakes (and readily
admits them) but he also learns from them and tries hard to do
his best by his horses (America seems to be doing alright as far
as I can tell)

Let's make nice now, everyone, and knock off the mud-slinging.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag