[RC] need vet help - Kathie Ford

Hello there to all.  I have a question for the vets out there because I have a 4.5 year old Arab mare that is not acting normal since I brought her home from training the other day.

First day home she was fine, perky etc.  Welcomed home by all the girls.  Yesterday I noticed she seemed a little quiet, yet was acting normally.

To day, she is lethargic, and sort of "dopey".  Very sleepy.  Definately not her usual bouncy self.  I'm pretty concerned.  She is EDPP, yet not with the normal enthusiasm she has.  When I call to her she pricks an ear to me yet doesn't always come.  When she does, it is pretty pokey.  This mare is a bubbly, outgoing, people loving mare.  When she was at training she was well taken care of, well fed, and everything seemed fine.  It was however, the first time away from our ranch since we've had her.  We got her when she was a yearling.  So I know her well.

You call her she comes running.  If your in the pasture she wants to be right there.  Very responsive.  We did have a windy night last night and the temperature has dropped.  But we have that every fall and it has never bothered her.

She shows not other symptoms, and definately not acting colicky.  Hydration is wonderful, has normal guts sounds, gums look okay.  But she has this "far away" look I don't like.

I would like to hear from any of the vets if this is something to be concerned about. My other horses are sleepy but a more "alert" type of _expression_ on their faces.  They are all normal.

Also, could her exposure to other horses (she did ride with two strange geldings at the park the other day as part of her training) be causing this?  Could she be coming down with some virus?  She is current on all shots, however, she is not due for her winter shots until next month.   I had also given her a strangles booster prior to her leaving for her trianing.  She also had the WNV shots months ago.  Wormed two weeks ago with Ivermectin ect.  Vet checked her out, teeth and all prior to her leaving too to make sure she was okay.

Only other thing I don't know about is that in the area she was kept in there were walnut trees.  I know oak trees aren't good but what about walnut?  I visited her quite frequently and never noticed her even being interested in them.  Just trying to think what could have caused this change.

Help!  I love this mare and have known her since she was 6 hours old.

thank you,

kathie