[RC] Food for thought: - Moradana

There has been a lot of heated debate these days on LD's, horses deaths, overriding horses, and protocol for newbies.

First, I will let every one know that I am a newbie and have not ridden in endurance as of yet.  Trying to start by Volunteering and move on up.  And yes I've been lurking and reading and learning but as of late there has been a lot of debate over things that might scare someone like me off.

Anyway, maybe AERC should start a mandatory mentoring program for newbies that would start with general horsemanship.  i.e.; nutrition, training, evaluations.  The Mentor could help make decisions as to where to start LD's or 50 milers again this would be based on experience.  The newbie could go to the ride with their mentor if there was a problem at the end of the ride the newbie and the mentor could dicuss the issues at hand.

Maybe there could be Mentor incentives such as mentor miles and I'm sure that there are many of you out there that have many of those all ready.

Last of all, I do relize that there is a liability to this issue such as someone not wanting to live up to their own responsibility of their actions and blame the mentor for not teaching them something.  If there was a sign off sheet for every thing learned such as, sign here at this box , we have been over that it might help.  The armband thing at races I find interesting also.  I may be real off base here but I might be food for thought.

Dana