Re: [RC] preggers questions - Bette Lamore

Yes it is. I traded one of my mares for a Russian bred filly who was 2 and just before I picked her up, the owner told me she was pregnant. He'd left her in with a stud colt--- another yearling-- and thought nothing of it until she started showing. It probably stunted her growth (but perhaps that is not as important with a pony) and I was sweating bricks when we ran into a 2 hour traffic jam near Lancaster. She did not deliver the month early, however, and both Mom and baby were fine, although the baby was small. The mare should have grown more in height, too, although one can never really predict-- that is why I felt it probably stunted her a little. The vets I've talked to are divided on this one. Some say malnourishment or early pregnancy can make mares/horses thin but not effect height; others seem to feel there is an effect. A good vet check should quickly solve your question as to whether or not she's pregnant and I would certainly do that ASAP. My mare did not show much at all and yet was only a month from delivery. And you need to give a three way a month before she foals for the baby's sake. There can be bad side effects to given the tetanus antitoxin to the newborn which don't show up for 2 years--- disheartening.
Good luck with your mare
Bette

Karen J Zelinsky wrote:

Hi campers -- this question came to me from a friend - any input? She just told me that a breeder friend said, yes, it can happen -- but I would love to hear some more input. Thanks!
Karen

HI - THIS IS NOT A JOKE - I REALLY WANT INPUT. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA IF IT'S POSSIBLE FOR A TWO YEAR OLD SHETLAND
PONY TO BE PREGNANT? LOLLIPOP IS LOOKING SUSPICIOUSLY PREGNANT -
NOT HAY BELLY - WRONG I DON'T KNOW WHAT. WHEN WE BROUGHT HER HOME
IN APRIL, THE PEOPLE THOUGHT SHE MIGHT HAVE BEEN BRED (I DIDN'T
BELIEVE THEM - I MEAN IF THEY DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HOW OLD SHE WAS,
HOW SMART ARE THEY.....) NOW I'M NOT SO SURE. IF SHE IS, SHE'S
SOMEWHERE IN THE TWO YEAR OLD RANGE BY NOW AND BABY WOULD PROBABLY
BE BORN IN MARCH. ANY IDEAS - IS IT REALLY POSSIBLE FOR A PONY
THAT YOUNG TO BE BRED??

-- Bette Lamore Whispering Oaks Arabians Home of 16.2h TLA Halynov who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance! http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)