Re: [RC] ? for the vets - Patsy Davis

As an RN who deals with stomach tubes in humans, I believe that if the pressure is high enough, the fluid is going to come out of the tube when it is inserted.  AND, I  had a mule that coliced severely and was tubed twice, once to inject mineral oil and once to check for reflux and pressure.  Both times the vets injected a little air to start the flow.  I know we do this with humans.

BTW, I fortunately have little first-hand knowledge of colic but during my mule Sally's bout with it she was given IV fluid (46 liters total) and I believe that was what saved her.  I don't believe placing fluid her stomach would have done the job.  She had a bowel obstruction and was dehydrated (3 days of riding and not drinking enough.  I've since learned a lot, she now eats soaked, shredded beat pulp).

Patsy in TX

terre <tobytrot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have decided that if any of my horses colic at a ride again:
>
>1. I will not allow fluids by stomach tube.
>2. Have one inserted to relieve pressure if the gut seems to be completely

I wouldn't get too "married" to this concept--the jury's not in yet.

It is my understanding that in order to 'relieve pressure'--ie drain
reflux--the inserted tube needs to be filled with fluid in order to
start the siphoning process.

terre

alternate email: Do you Yahoo!?