[RC] fire in Elfin Forest - Nancy Reed

I am one of the most lucky people in the world to live in Elfin Forest, California. The best little horse community in San Diego County.   Seven years ago most of this community and parts of its neighbors Carlsbad, San Marcos and Encinitas was severely burned in the infamous Harmony Grove Fire.  Today you would never know such devastation ever occurred.  Not only is Elfin Forest the best place to have a horse in San Diego County, the community members are incredible.

I live on the side of a mountain, surrounded on 2 sides by brush that is tender dry.  I have 5 horses on the lower part of the property, the most venerable part.  The last several days have been nerve racking to say the least.   I have become a clean freak at the barn.  No stray hay is allowed and all stalls are spotless!

 Last night at 2 am I was awakened by the sound of sirens.  I ran down the hall toward the front door smelling thick smoke, much stronger than when I went to bed.  As I ripped the door open I was greeted by the orange flickering glow of a fire in the brush below our property.  I started screaming to my family to evacuate as visions of flames danced in my mind.  The smoke was sickeningly thick.  As we quickly tossed our pre-packed bags into our car, my husband, Jerry noticed the orange glow was gone replaced by the blinking lights of the local volunteer Fire Department.  I could hear the voices of my neighbors working the fire below and was comforted by the familiar sounds.

As the smoke was not getting worse and the glow was gone Jerry went to recon before I started to spray fire retardant material on the house and load our horses.  I called my neighbors and block captain to institute our street safety program.  Within minutes Jerry had good news, the fire was out and we could stay home.  The quick work done by the Fire Department saved our valley again.  I was spared the heart break of having 5 horses and only a 2 horse trailer.

Unfortunately the good news was tempered by the shock of the origin of the fire.  Yes, it was most likely arson, started by some wacko looking to fill a sick desire.

We are an isolated rural community like most horse communities in California. We can not depend on the “authorities” to be able to patrol our streets as we would like even in normal times.  So tonight over 100 people showed up on less than a few hours notice to set up a community fire patrol to assist the overburdened authorities.  It is so incredible to be a part of such a community.  In spite of all the incontinence and late hours every one present tonight volunteered to man a shift and patrol our streets.  I can sleep tonight knowing my back and my horses are covered by the best little horse community in San Diego, Elfin Forest.

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest

Shift 3, 12 to 1 am patrol