Re: [RC] automatic sanctions - John Teeter

> At 11:50 AM 10/27/2003, Howard Bramhall wrote:
> what, exactly, are the protocols, within AERC, that are you referring to?
> I do believe the current head of the VEt Committee, Jim Baldwin, DVM, has stated that the report
> procedure will change

The vet committee was directed to establish a protocol for fatality reporting by 1999 board resolution (i think it was 1999, you look it up in the minutes). The resolution was rather open ended and allowed the vet committee to modify it's procedures (the protocol) w/o any board oversight. later, some members of the board didn't like what was happening and attempted to refine the procedure w/o modifying the establishing resolution.

I think Dr. Baldwin is attempting to follow the original directive and changing the reporting procedure (the protocol) to make it more informative and useful. I think there was a lot of discussion at the red rock board meeting about this and there are two camps (opennes.vs.closedness) in this issue. but we don't have the red rock minutes yet to see what the record states.

My real point, though is that the aerc vet committee has been directed by the board (via the 1999 - you look it up:) resolution to report on equine fatalities. The Horse Welfare Committee is also doing a simular thing (w/o board directive) and I hope they work together (as they should.)

anyway, the place to address your questions and to get involved in the evolution of the process is to work with Stagg Newman (the non-vet member of the vet committee) and any/all of the HWC people. Get involved and work with the people who are making it happen. w/o involvement, all the rhetoric is just noise in the wind.

jt.