[RC] Coffer dam in Auburn - Carol Stiles

Just wanted to warn riders that the Bureau of Reclamation started blasting today down at the coffer dam in Auburn, CA. I know because I was riding back from Cool via No Hands Bridge when they started blasting. I was about a mile from the overlook. The good news is I think they're setting the charges off underground because while there was a huge billowing cloud of smoke and stinky sulfur smell that engulfed the whole canyon, but there was very little sound. My horse wasn't spooked at all. Not to say they'll do it this way in the future, but at least today wasn't bad. Also, the gate is locked going across the coffer dam and a sign is posted at the overlook that the trail to Cool via the coffer dam is closed until Jan. for anyone who is interested. I saw the sign but really didn't think they'd start blasting for another month or so. I was obviously wrong.