Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] coordinates for "the edge" - Truman Prevatt

Even if the HWC develops all the most wonderful material in the world, how many people will get access to it if not distributed and discussed on a local level?  Local clinics where people that are interested ( I sure hope every endurance rider would be interested ) meet and the material presented and discussed by a knowledgeable individual is the best way to provide education. In FL we have some of the most brutal weather conditions to ride in and we don't only ride in the winter. We start in late Sept (when it is still in the 90's - hell it was 85 yesterday) and run into May (where it is in the 90's) with either endurance or CTR's. I did a ride once in mid March where it was 95. It can even be in the mid 80's and humid in Feb. Throw in deep sand at many of our rides and you would think it would be a demolition derby at FL distance rides.

However, that notwithstanding I suspect FL has one of the best records when it comes to not having serious crashes. I have to believe a big factor it this is because we have two - not one but two -distance riding clinics a year in FL. May of 2002 Sue G spoke at one and May 2003 Dane Frazier spoke at one. GA also has clinics.  At SERA convention we always have a speaker discussing endurance related topics.

At clinics I have attended since about '90 I have heard a who's whs talk on various subject related to the distance horse. Since the early 90's I have attended clinics that featured Jeannie Waldron (twice), Jim Bryant, Jr., Jim Bryant III,  Dane Frazier (twice), Kerry Ridgeway, Mike Tomlinson, Ken Marcella, Duane Barnett, Susen Garlinghouse, Valerie Kanavy, Steve and Dinah Rojek, and I am sure I missed someone here. SEDRA, SERA and the FL Horsemen Association (who runs the FL 3 day 100 mile CTR) push and support these clinics. I have to believe it is the knowledge base that our riders have been exposed to that allow us to even think about competing in our harsh conditions with little risk to our horses. When you get to pick the brains of the experts first hand - you come away with a wealth of knowledge and common sense advice on how to apply it.

Like I said in an earlier post I was exposed to more accurate information on the metabolic stresses on a distance horse and how to manage and mitigate them and how to condition a distance horse before I ever did an endurance ride (or even heard of the AERC) than many are ever exposed to - except by trail and error. Trail and error is not the way to learn about metabolic issues of a distance horse.

If there is anyplace where one needs to think globally but act locally it is education.

Truman

RISTREE@xxxxxxx wrote:

I can only speak for SERA but I am sure the other regional and state
organizations stand ready to help anyway we can.

So how we going to make this happen?

Perhaps I'm spitting in the wind, since the HWC charter seems to be framed out already, but I had anticipated the role of the committee would be to collect, interpret and use data from treatments and fatalities to educate the membership ...

--Patti Stedman