Re: [RC] CTR'S are too fast. - Susan Young

Rene,
I REALLY liked your post.  I, along with Louise & Amber Burton, were safety riders for the National Championship CTR held the end of Sept here in OK.  My SOUL! 5.1 mph is SO slow!  But, you raise a very valid point.  The fun is taken out because you're always watching the clock.

Now, about moving over different terrain.  I used to watch where my horse was putting his feet but NO LONGER! and I'll tell you why.  The horse wants to keep his feet (footing) more than anything else.  That means survival or not.  As a foxhunter, my horse has run full tilt over ground that I'd question walking over.  I've ridden several horses foxhunting over the years (have visited hunts and used a local horse, have bought a new horse, conditioned a horse for someone else, etc) and I've learned to allow the horse to figure out the footing for himself.

The human head weight a LOT...average is 7 pounds, I've read.  That's a lot of weight falling forward when you look down at the ground.  Now, your horse is VERY sensistive and can feel when you're looking down so he naturally wonders what you're looking at.  Watch someone jumping a horse, they don't look down...they look OVER the jump.  Now, the rider's EYES may peek down but the head stays up.  Same over the flat.

CHALLENGE: next time you're moving down a familiar place...holey...rocky...muddy...whatever...LOOK UP and see how your horse reacts.  Let the horse pick the pace he moves over that trail.  You may be surprised at how well he can handle himself.

RENESPONY@xxxxxx wrote:
i have found that with the ctr's i spend the whole ride "trot, trot, trot,
canter, what time is it?, pant, pant, catch breath, what time is it? trot, trot,
are we there yet? but I'm going so fast. i need to walk. can we walk?")
i spend the whole ride looking at the footing so i can trot as much as
possible, haul some butt on the dirt roads cause I walked too much in the woods, then keep trotting.

Susan Young Casey, Princess of Pink; secretary, RRRSA
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

Do you Yahoo!?