[RC] its not the distance- a different take - Ed Kilpatrick

we did one of those wagon train rides a few years ago.  just one day of a week long ride.  we were in the saddle about 9 1/2 hours total.  it was a slow go, start, stop, road crossings, etc.  at the end of the day,  we had covered about 20 miles!  the horses were tired, grouchy, sore, and the riders were too!  since i have been doing endurance rides, i can reflect back on that wagon train ride and realize that it is not necessarily the distance involved that can wear you and your horse out, but the hours in the saddle.    ed kilpatrick