Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 12:18 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Diarrhea in Older Horse

Tamara,
My beloved gelding went through this for 18 months.  We tried everything, and the only thing that would help was steroids.
What it seems to have been was that the colon had developed a "hardening" and water and vitamins were no longer being able to be absorbed back into the system.  Red drank and ate well throughout the entire episode.  He was always very happy to be alive and did not ever "give up".
We tried everything, different feed, water, drugs....only the steroids helped, so we knew it was an inflamation.
We finally gave him something..can't remember what..but you gave 1mm every ten days to two weeks.... it was pretty $$.  Finally, as I knew it would, the medicine stopped working..he went through "explosive diarrhea" for four days before we could get it under control.  I went out one night to put him in the barn, as it was raining, and he couldn't get up.  He lay down for two days and died in my arms, minutes after I returned from work on the second day.  I owned him over 20 years.  He was a few months short of 25.   We just KNEW he was going to live until he was at least 30, but it was not to be.
He died  a year ago next week.
I'm sorry this is not good news, but tell her to try the steroids.
Louise
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians
http://pages.prodigy.net/firedancefarms