[RC] Saddle Fit - Room for Shoulders? - Aaron & Crysta Turnage

I posted a while ago that I'm in the middle of the "Great Saddle Hunt".  I test rode a Wintec 2000AP with the CAIR panels and adjustable gullet system.  LOVED this saddle except for one thing....

How much room should you have for your horse's shoulders when they are moving?  My gelding (who is 5 and still changing shape) has average withers but very broad shoulders.  I was using the extra-wide (white) gullet plate on the saddle.  For wither clearance I had approximately 1 - 1.5" from the top of his withers to the pommel of the saddle.  I "may" have been able to use the next size down in the gullet.  My concern though was that the saddle seem very tight on his shoulders when he was moving.  To put my hand about 2/3 of the way down the panel between the saddle and him (around the point of his shoulder) it would squish my hand very firmly as he would move.  I don't think it was girthed too tight as I was able to get a full hand plus 1" of space between him and the girth.  This was occuring BELOW the gullet plate, so going to a wider (custom) plate would not seem to be the answer.

Does this go away as the saddle gets "broke in"?  Since I could see the saddle flexing with him, is this even a concern?  How would you alleviate this problem?  I did not buy this saddle but am wondering if this is something I need to be concerned with.

Thanks for the opinions!

Crysta & Sinatra
AJandCrysta at sbcglobal dot net