[RC] LD's vs 50's (morale?) - Jonni Jewell

in light of the fact that he had been pulled from 2 races consecutively
we both 'needed' a finish for morale and there is no way to test this if i
don't race him...<<<

Definition of morale:
n 1: a state of individual psychological well-being based upon a sense of
confidence and usefulness and purpose .

Why do so many people think that their horses CARE if they finish a ride?
(they don't keep track of mileage, or other AERC records on the wall of
their stall, those are for us to keep track of and to fill our human needs)
I hear more riders say that they "let their horse down" when they failed to
finish a ride, like the horse is mad at the errors they made. Simple errors,
that caused no harm to the animal, such as going off trail, caused them to
not finish.( I think horses are less than happy when we hurt them...but
could give a flip about having a pull code next to their name)  While a
rider may feel the need for their own morale to finish a ride when they have
had some pulls, really, horses don't care..... But, I think we want to think
they enjoy this sport so much, that they are "let down" when things go
wrong.

I think only highly competitive horses such as RO Grand Sultan have that
competitiveness that would cause them frustration if they are not allowed to
go on down the trail, when other horses might be leaving a vet check ahead
of them.These are often the same horses who seem to be upset if they are not
the ones loaded in the trailer to go someplace.   Bet Rio does not read his
AERC record either...nor does he care.

Jonni