Re: [RC] ruffled feathers - Deanna German

Perhaps we should say that once you are a 50 miler, both you and your
horse> stay in 50's or at least 50 milers cannot drop back to LD and change
th> competitive level of the LD.

What happens when the "really" newbies decide that you with your 500 miles of
LD's are too experienced to be standing for "their" BC award? In dog obedience
shows you have to move up a division after 3 qualifying scores.

Weelllll.... in the interest of accuracy, one is not required to move up
after 3 qualifying scores, but after 90 days after getting that third "Q",
one must say goodbye to the newbie "A" division and move to the "B" division
and play with the big boys, some of whom are professional trainers. You can
stay in "B" division with that dog until you get a "high in trial" or a Q at
the next level up. (It's the same with AKC agility, BTW. Field events are a
little different.) If the dog has a title at a certain level already, you
can only play in "B".

More information than anyone wanted to know, I'm sure. BUT, Angie does bring
up a good point about being careful for what you wish for.

With OAATS CTR, "veteran" horses are allowed to do novice level rides just
for career miles -- not eligible for placements -- after the horse has been
at the open level. People do this to sponsor a nervous newbie, to enjoy the
day on an old guy or to do some rehab. If a newbie rider is riding the
veteran horse, they're considered novice. Also, one isn't allowed to stay
eligible for novice placements forever. 2 years is the max, unless one only
does up to 2 novice rides a year. (Novice is defined as either the horse or
rider having under 2 years of experience or less than one or two rides per
year.)

At one of the OAATS CTRs, they divide the novice group into experienced and
true newbie, though I confess to not know the criteria. So, in effect, there
is an "A" and a "B" division.

Fairly easy to administer with our small group. Though we have to depend on
people's honesty, I don't think we've had anyone misrepresent themselves
just to get a ribbon for a 15 or 20 mile novice ride. Of course, there are
no year end placement awards for novice, so no reason to get all worked up.
Not a perfect system, but at least it discourages ringers. As do AKC dog
sport rules.

Oh, and... well said, Jon!!!!

Deanna --

Newbie handler (titled dog) entered in "B" division obedience in a couple of
weeks. Eeeek!!