[RC] Data - TP Miller

I would propose H&W,  Rules and Education consider the collection of a specific data set for a researcher such as Truman to analyze.  This study would be in the interest of obtaining objective information useful to each committee.

Many of the necessary data sets have been recently discussed.  This would take more time for ride managers to complete and submit, as well as the completion of a pre-ride form by every entry, perhaps simplified by a computerized data base wherein competitive miles of specific horse to date, (as an example of extant data), can be automatically grabbed, but information as to travel time/miles to a given ride would have to be submitted by the competitor.

Hold times, weather, etc would be the burden of the ride manager, for which they should be reimbursed because this would be a continent-wide organizational study.

I very much respect the opinions offered here by the experienced, as well as the not so experienced, but I do believe a comprehensive study, containing as many pertinent variables as possible, will serve as a guide for each of the above committees, and the organization as a whole, to act on if resultant analyses proves significant.

This would be a huge on-going undertaking, and probably add a couple bucks to every ride entry, but there is enough volunteer free talent here to do a boatload of accurate analyses. There will be a huge list of null hypotheses, for example-

There is no statistically significant difference in metabolic pull rates, in a 50 mile ride, when comparing rides with two 45 minute holds versus rides with three 30 minute holds.

And that's one subset of data..  Each additional data variable obtained can be added to that, one by one.

I'd call it "What Goes Right at an Endurance Ride",  because the vast majority of the entries, the vast majority of  the time, take home healthy horses.  What we're looking for is any objective evidence, painstakingly gathered, and actively reviewed and discussed among the membership, that will cause proactive changes to increase that majority.

Tim Miller