[RC] Flax seed - Kathy Copeland

Title: Flax seed

This is a question for Susan,
        We have been using flax seed in our horses diets.  What I need to know is before an endurance ride do you back off the flax seed and not feed it starting the nite before the ride like you do grain or do you continue to feed it? We don't feed that much of it as our horses are very easy keepers but do get them going on beet pulp, all in one, handful of grain, and a little flax seed and hay the week before a ride. They survive well on good pasture and a little beet pulp on ride days when we ride them hard.   We ride Spanish Mustangs and but do have one Arab in the group that gets to eat a lot all the time.  This program has worked well for us.    In the winter of course they are on hay, a good quality oat or wheat hay.  We do have one mustang in the group with skin issues and have been feeding her about a cup of flax seed a day to help with that.  How much flax seed should one feed and elder horse in it's diet also to help keep weight on ? Thanks in advance and as always you are the greatest.  The world would not be the same without you!

Team Slow Poke,
Kathy Copeland