[RC] Allegany Shut Up and Ride (NE) - RISTREE

No doubt we were a little nervous as first time ride managers ...  but survival is key, and survive, we did.

On Saturday, October 18th, forty-three horses competed in New York State's only sanctioned (AERC/ECTRA) Endurance Ride, the Allegany Shut Up and Ride, at Allegany State Park in Salamanca, New York.  Our vets were Stan Alkemade and J. Mark McConnon.  Timer was the legendary Buck Shrader.

We were blessed with a great ride site, some gorgeous (but without question, challenging!) trails -- made no easier by the wrath of Mother Nature's rain and wind on Wednesday -- and the cheerful and tireless work of countless volunteers.  Many were family and family friends, and "non-horsey" -- they were SO incredibly impressed by all the riders, and also by my endurance "family."   I am incredibly humbled by my association with all of them.  Every single one has said they would come back so that this can be the Annual Allegany Shut Up and Ride.

Photos of the ride (on trail) can be viewed (and purchased) at www.jrlphoto.com/ride/index.htm     There are some lovely photos, and everyone is SMILING!

My friend, Kate Rogers, came down from Maine and took dozens of shots in camp as well, including the start, and vetting in, crewing, etc.  I'll ask her to post them on her website as well and follow up with a link for all of you ASAP.

Re: results.  Here is what I remember ...   First place, Pam Karner on Piper (on her first 50 endurance ride); second place, Cinnamon Becker on SS Scooby Doo;  third place, BC, and High Vet Score, Laura Hayes on Equal Terms;  fourth place, Bobbie Jo Rosage on Nick's Royl Ruckus;  fifth place, Nancy McAninch on Zahr Fire;  sixth place, Paul Frame (also a first time 50-miler);  seventh place, Mary Coleman on Hawks Neopolitan (yep!  may as well say it, MORGAN POWER!);  eighth place, Georgia O'Brien on Lauralee Admiral Buoy; ninth place, Janet Brown on Catangaa; and tenth place, Millie Turner on FF Snow Falcon .  Our raffle-based "To Finish Is To Win" award went to Bobbie Jo Rosage, and the Oldest Horse Completing was Millie Turner's FF Snow Falcon.

Twenty one started, sixteen completed.  77% completion rate.  We were pleased with this.  The trails are tough -- at Allegany, you are either going up or you are going down, and with Wednesday's storm, you did a lot of it through some muddier-than-usual footing.  I'll let the riders comment on how this ride fits on the difficulty scale;  several laughingly requested we include a flat loop next year.  They also argued about which of the four loops was toughest.

In the 25, with so many novices entered, we put the emphasis on the importance of a sound and strong completion versus racing, and had no Top Ten Awards or BC.  We did have a "Lookin' Good" award won by Lisa Parshall on Harcrest Amadeus, with Kathy Calanni's (21 y.o.) Little Peeples, and Candy Baxter on Llop's Haflinger, Mitch, as runners-up.  These folks were picked by our staff and volunteers as the horses that still looked like a 'million bucks' at the end of the ride, regardless of completion time.  We also had an award for "Good Time Charlie" -- the rider that seemed to be having a great time, taking diligent care of their horse, and being thoughtful and patient with our volunteers.  It was a tough decision (everyone was so nice!), but the award went to Lisa Parshall.

In the 25, twenty started, 17 completed, with the only pulls being one Rider Option due to a cut on her horse's foot, and two riders who were overtime.  85% completion rate.   On a very tough course.

No accidents (that I know of), no horses treated, no serious mishaps.  (She types, gratefully wiping brow.)

We had fantastic awards donated by Country Aire Farm, State Line Tack, Snake Hill Stables, Running Bear Farms, Carla Pleszewski, Ainsley Smith and Laura Hayes.  Millie Turner won the raffle of a headstall/reins/breastcollar set, donated by Running Bear Farm, and benefitting Centaur Stride Therapeutic Riding Center.

If I forget something, I know someone will remind me. :-)

At the moment, I'm whupped, and will better able to fill y'all in on the details after a good night's sleep.  I'm heading on the road tomorrow (Mon.) for my consulting business, but will report in with the things I remembered I forgot.

Again, thank you to everyone who made this possible!  We're tickled to have been able to do it.

--Patti (and Richard) Stedman