[RC] more vet checks - Larry Miller

I remember one ride in the 80s.  There were lots of ya-hoos on this particular endurance ride.  And there were many fit horses.  What did the vets do?  A 10 min vet hold 2 miles from the finish.  Talk about slowing the ride down and letting the fit show their stuff.  If one came into the vet hold fast, the horse was not going to recover in 10 min, the secret was to come in at a reasonable pace so the horse would recover in 10 min and be on its way!  I thought it was pretty sneaky and it sure did do the job.  Oh yeah, I got thru that check in the 10 min.  LOL Jeanie