Re: [RC] RE : Its not the distance - Truman Prevatt

Leonard,

While the Pan Am was a tragedy and should be considered, it was only one of many deaths in the US this year and I suspect when the smoke clears, not all the riders were burning the course. In my experience it is not necessarily the front runners that are getting into trouble, its horses from the front of the pack to the back of the pack. So we need to understand the whole problem not just one incident.

Truman

Leonard.Liesens@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

I read your debate with very much attention : shorter loops, longer holds, more rider's education, etc...  But...

You should have a very deep look at the detailed results of the PAC. Look at the speed , loop by loop, of the competitors that were eliminated. It is very easy to make conclusion. This is the speed that kills, not the distance.

I counted around 10 horses that were eliminated M or L that were cruising at more than 17Kph during the second loop. If my souvenirs are correct, this was a loop with many single trail, up and downs, bumps, difficult terrain, while the third one started with long portions of flat roads but with a long ascent at the end. Steph was cruising at around 15Kph on this second loop, Ihad difficulties with my mad teenie and could not safely follow her at that speed ad I thought that she was already going fast. Figure out at 17 or even 19Kph. It was written that, except if you have a perfect horse well controlled and who can play in this kind of difficulties, the pull ratio will be high. It is too bad that we don't have the recovery time for each loop. This would give us even more information on the relative condition of the horses.

John ???? Don't you have this on a spreadsheet ?

Leonard, Belgium