[RC] Size of horse at AERC nat'l champ - saioak

AERC Nationals 100 Mile Ride
From Alyx Luck / Mommesin  ...

*Note from Bev Scott  (Alyx sent this to me to Post on Ridecamp so am going to add that she was > AERC NC 100 -1st in Featherweight Division and is hoping to win the National War Mare Award for Mommesin  having 1648 Points prior to this ride.)   And finally .... read on to find out the answer to the question ***  "How tall "is" Monsieur Joseph ? " ........

My Ride:
As we assembled in the dark for the start of AERC NC 100 you could feel the excitement in the air. The "Start” being relatively calm except for Mommesin who was excited to get under way. Having  "Broke in the Air" she settled and immediately took off down the trail at a trot.

During the first few miles Mommesin and I passed and or were passed by
riders trying to position themselves for the ride. 3-5 miles out I began
riding alongside Michel Bloch / Monsieur Joseph (who is only 13'3 maybe 14 hands tall) and Nicole Wier / Rebel Fire Bask (I think that's who it was).

Noticing that Michel had his reins crossed the other rider and I waited
while he hopped off and straightened them out (it's hard to tack-up in
the dark).  Another rider came up and trying to pass us bumped Mommesin
hard enough to cause her to stumble to the ground.

I rode with Michel and then Nicole until the first vet check. Having
pulsed down in front of the rest of the riders we left Vet Gate #1 in
first place. I slowed down hoping to wait for Nicole who had stopped
earlier for me (a very kind gesture not always given by competitive riders). As
riders caught me about three miles down the trail Mommesin pulled on the
reins wanting to go on with the others.

After this the loops become a blur of dry trails. I rode with Beverly
Gray and Michel Bloch mainly throughout the day.  The first one out of
Vet Gate # 5,  Mommesin wanted to trot and jog the final loop but I was
tiring and chose to saunter slowly down the trail waiting for Michel.
Who wants to ride by oneself in the dark? Not I. Besides, Michel is a
very funny guy. He is from France but has lived in the U.S. since 1973. He taught me enough French to impress my teachers and at the same time he is a great horseman.

At one point in the last loop after riding up a long slope Michel
dismounted and filled a collapsible bucket with his own drinking water
and offered my mare and his gelding all the water he had. Wow !  I was
impressed.  Mommesin stuck her nose up at it but Monsieur Joseph was
very pleased. We continued to walk but trotted on out whenever Steve Hoeft
came into sight .

Luckily,  we had been warned that a barbed wire gate that originally we
had been told would be open had in fact been shut.  Michel graciously
struggled and opened it for us while I held his well mannered mount.
Steve did not have the gate to deal with - ahh the benefits of a home
advantage ehh?

Unfortunately, Joyce Sousa was not warned about this gate and her horse
trotted directly into it. Ouch - barbed wire - amazingly her horse
stayed sound and finished strong thank goodness. Once across the finish
line I un-tacked, pulsed in, trotted out, and completed my final
Veterinarian exam.

Mommesin looked wonderful particularly when you consider she has
trailered  roughly eight thousand miles in a month and competed
successfully in two 100 Mile Rides. Talk about one tough mare .( Even if
we don't end up placing nationally, to me she is a true War Mare :)  A
blanketing and a good roll later, Mommesin began to eat, and I was free
to watch other finishers, completion exams and play with my new dog
Lucky.

Shortly after Joyce Sousa finished I realized her horse was getting
chilly. Knowing what they had just been through I blanketed him and
could tell that Joyce was grateful.  She had been most helpful to me at
the Pan Am ride am pleased I could assist her here.

The following morning I watched BC's. (Was sorry that Michel Bloch didn't win BC as he was 1st Middle Weight riding Monsiuer Joseph who finished just one second behind Mommesin on a horse considerably shorter than Mommesin and carrying a guy who is close to being a heavyweight.).

Talked with friends and was happy to see Roger Taylor, Barney Fleming and Linda, Randy Eiland, Heather and Jeremy Reynolds plus Jeremy's twin (a surprise to me). I said my Goodbyes to another incredible Veterinarian Team and was soon off to the airport to catch a flight home.

Thanks everyone :)
Alyx Luck, Triple Luck Arabians