[RC] [RC] shoes and circulation: data? - Karen Standefer

There is a lot of new research out on this topic.  One
good one is a study done by Pollitt that shows that
poorly applied shoes do hamper circulation, and that
properly applied ones don't.

There are also a lot of studies going on that are
expected to show that the hoof doesn't move as much as
previously thought and that (when healthy and properly
balanced) that it moves in entirely different
directions than previously thought.  There should be
some conclusions next year from a study done by Dr.
Page, Gene Ovnicek and Dr. Bowker.

I think the most important aspect of shoeing/trimming
is to ensure correct balance.  Not just
medial/lateral, but anterior/posterior as well (maybe
even more important because this affects how the whole
boney column bears weight).  Getting the breakover
correct is paramount to proper balancing.  Doing this
will ensure that your horse isn't negatively affected
by shoeing.  They seem to be able to compensate a bit
better barefoot for poor trimming than with shoes on.
Probably because the hoof is a bit more flexible
without shoes.

karen

Not trying to revive the 'shoes vs barefoot' debate:
but I am curious: are there any scientific studies
showing the effects, if any, of shoing on hoof
cirulation?  My understanding is that as the hoof
grows, the clinches loosen, allowing the hoof to
expand without constriction (one of the arguments
against glue-on shoes is that they do not do this).
I'd think with all the neato-whizbang imaging
equipment available today someone may have done
rsearch on this?<<

http://shopping.yahoo.com