RE: [RC] molasses - was tying up question (long) - David LeBlanc

Susan said:

Supposedly, horses don't get diabetes, but there's starting
to be a lot of evidence that horses are variably
insulin-resistant, which translates to intolerance to
sugars ---including that in molasses, depending on the type
and amount used.  Some horses that metabolize and utilize
sugars just dandy can gobble down grain and molasses and
glycogen loaders by the truckload, feel just great and go
conquer the world without turning a hair.  The problem IMO is
that not every horse can do that---a lot of horses *are*
insulin-resistant, meaning they can eat sugars, get a
sky-high blood glucose reading and *feel* like they can
conquer the world---but because the glucose isn't getting
into the muscle cells where it belongs, and because the high
glucose has shut down fatty acid lipolysis, then those
horses' Rocket Fuel Factor is writing checks that the body
can't cash.  And I wonder if that's a factor in at least
*some* of the crashes that occur.  Not all.  Maybe just some.
Maybe in others, it just shows up as being prone to tying
up, being a certifiable butthead, or just more likely to run
themselves into the ground and blow their legs apart at the knees.

And Karen said:

"He is fun to ride when he's in control, but it just makes me mad at him
when he's zinging off the walls and orbiting and levitating his way down the
trail..."

So just curious - what do you recommend for the horse that zings off the
walls while levitating down the trail?

BTW, we had a horse tie up 3 years ago, we took him off sweet feed entirely,
also religeously warm him up, and haven't had a problem since. Since we had
Sarah do his teeth correctly, we haven't had a problem keeping weight on him
either. I tend to suspect that paying attention to teeth and feeding more of
the right foods instead of high calorie density foods is a better approach,
but I have a very small sample size.