[RC] Lynn & Chagall & AERC records - rides2far

Kudos to Lynn for sticking with her partner thru the tough
times.

Amen! :-)  Just a note to everyone about the AERC rider/horse records. I
often see them referred to as if they're a way to snoop or find fault
with other riders, but I have found them informative and inspirational.
I've been helping Karen provide the spreadsheet on the 10 year horses and
just looking at a horse's record you can imagine the ups and downs the
team went through. They'll start out slow, then there are the "glory
years" with 100% completion rates and top 10 finishes...then the trouble
hits and you'll see several pulls and a then maybe a year off. That's
when a lot of people would drop that one and go to the next but then
you'll see a year with 2 completions...then a horse like Beezar who comes
back and is 8 for 8.

I know the horses with super high mileage and incredible completion rates
while winning 1st & 2nd deserve lots of attention, but sometimes I think
it's almost too humbling to the average rider. When I see horses out west
racking up incredible numbers of miles I feel humbled, but then I see
horses who have really made their mark on the sport and have pretty to
close to what I have in mileage it makes me feel better.

When I ran the survey for my convention speech last year I found that a
good year for the average endurance rider is 250 miles. That's a pretty
good year for me. I was almost hesitant to say it at the banquet but then
after it was over Becky Hart came up, shook my hand, and said, "I did 250
miles last year". :-))

So, I highly recommend you guys learn to use the AERC data base. It's a
great learning experience and it will be a bit of a reality check after
only reading about the super high mileage exceptions so much.  I want to
say a BIG thank you to those who have made it possible!

Angie

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!