[RC] Bear Valley Springs - Cunningham, Marci

I have thought about writing this post all week and finally talked myself into it so here goes my BVS endurance ride story.  I love these trails and since am able to train on them I think I know them rather intimately.  I started the first BVS ride back in 1984 however I didn't finish that year on an Appendix QH that was my first endurance horse.  That first year we had to ride the High Country trail twice in a clockwise direction so I'm sure Scott can appreciate why I didn't finish that first year on my non-Arab.  We ran out of gas and time somewhere up on the High County trail during our second loop.  I counted up my BVS starts and found that including this year I have started the ride 13 times and have finished it 11 times.

I try to have a goal for each ride season and sometimes that goal isn't determined until after the ride season starts.  It may be to try to finish in the year end regional awards, ride a new multi-day ride far from home, ride X number of miles, or attain a certain mileage goal for my horse.  Notice that none of my goals include speed as even year end regional award have been earned by riding 100 mile rides and getting the bonus points.  This is my choice because I firmly believe that with speed you sacrifice your horse's longevity and miles.  This year's goal has turned into getting Koztarr+ to the 3,000 mile level and with luck we just may get there before the end of November.

We started the ride with my good friend Jane McGrath on her great horse Fire Mt Scamp near the end of the 50 mile horses.  Two weeks earlier we had ridden most of the first 30 mile loop so we knew what to expect.  We were glad that no one in our small group got stung by yellow jackets on the back side of Sycamore Canyon, since Jane got stung numerous times during our ride two weeks earlier.  One of the great things about these trails are the natural spring water boxes on the trail and the horses sure appreciated them!  We climbed into the first vet check after about 3 hours of riding.  The horses pulsed down and vetted through fine and soon we were climbing the High County trail.  It is a tough climb as Scott indicated in his post, but our horse did fine as they were familiar with the trail and we all knew what to expect.  Back at lunch Jane decided to pull Scamp as she felt he wasn't recovering as quickly as he normally does and seemed a bit dehydrated.  My helmet is off to Jane for knowing her horse so well which I guess should be expected as they have 3,615 miles together.  Since she was planning on a ride and tie this weekend I know she wanted to err on the side of caution for her horse.

Without Jane and Scamp, Koztarr+ and I started out on the last 20 miles by ourselves.  It wasn't long before Don Bowen and Willy caught up with us and we rode together for the rest of the ride.  We started up the San Juan trail and before long the trail markings took us off the regular trail onto a section that Jim Mitchell later called the Frankenstein trail.  I think it is officially known as Fred's trail named after our head vet, Fred Beasom.  In my mind we were going the opposite direction that we needed to go in order to get to the next vet check.  However, we rode by another spring box and the horses had an opportunity to drink and eventually the trail turned back and we hooked up with the San Juan trail I was familiar with and rode into the vet check which was at the same location as the morning check.  Don filled me in on his and Willy's antics while training for the Tevis this summer.  During a training ride near Michigan Bluff the trail gave out and Willy and Don tumbled about 500 feet over the side of the trail.  Don ended up with a broken leg and Willy got a helicopter ride out of the canyon.  Instead of riding Tevis this year he was up there volunteering for the ride.  The BVS ride was their first ride since their accident in June and they picked one of the toughest rides in our region for their comeback.  We finished at 5:30 with 45 minutes to spare and there were still riders that finished after us.  BVS is one tough ride and I'm sorry that Cheri isn't planning on putting on the ride next year but maybe she will change her mind.  Congratulations to Don for receiving an honorable mention in the Golden Buns Award.

Scott, I really wanted to e-mail you about the trail but since I read ridecamp on the archives e-mail addresses don't show up.  I was hoping that others would tell you about the difficulty of the trail but unfortunately hearing about a trail and riding it oneself sometimes are two different things.  I was parked a couple of rigs to the east of you and my other Bakersfield friends were parked next to you and behind you.  I have found that non-Arab horses can do fine on flatter rides but hills like BVS really catch up with them.  I'm glad everything worked out okay for you and Solitaire.

Since it was only an hour drive home I drove home after dinner and the awards getting home by 10:30.  Koztarr+ couldn't wait to get out of the trailer to roll, pee and start grazing in his pasture.  All in all I had a great ride with a horse that drank and ate well all day and looked great the next morning, especially after I hosed all the dried sweat off him.  Now if we could just solve his laying down on the job issue. :-)

Happy Trails,
Marci Cunningham
Bakersfield CA