Re: [RC] re: Endpoint of an endurance ride - Truman Prevatt

The one thing that is interesting about the rule is the only place it mentions "fit to continue" is in the pharse "6.2.1.3  The equine must be metabolically stable, sufficient to demonstrate fitness to continue." It has separate specific criteria for soundness.

It does not specify that the metabolic exam and the lameness exam must take place in any specific oder or time window - except the hour interval. This is the same rule that caused some debate some time back concerning if the pulse at the end had to be met in 30 minutes but the remainder could be within an hour.

Clearly the BOD knew what he meant and I think what they meant was the entire exam takes place at one vist and if there is a problem the it is done over. But it doesn't seem that the wirter has captured that intent.

I have seen incidences where a horse had a minor cramp and the vet sent the rider away to work on it and come back and trot them out again - just the trot out. If they were sound they were complete. The full exam was not required again in that case.

So as Bob says there may be some court house lawyers around, but it might be well advised to clearify this rule. Who know Bill Clinton may start riding someday and you need to be ready:-).

Truman

Heidi Smith wrote:
Probably won't matter. On a cold ride the pulse should be just about
down when you get in. In any case unless you are cooking with gas coming
it - the pulse should be down within 10 minutes or so and if the horse
goes lame in that period, I question if he was fit to continue or not.

Bingo.

The rules from what I can see don't specify you need to have your pulse
down before you trot out. Was that the intention - if it was it should
say so.

To say so would be redundant.  If his pulse isn't down at the same time that
he is capable of trotting, he IS NOT FIT TO CONTINUE, period!

Heidi