Re: [RC] mini-crash or not? - Maggie Mieske

Michelle,
On our first 100 miler, Malik took a nap at 78 miles.  It is usual for him to nap after a 50....he felt his nap was way overdue.  I know a lot of people panicked about it.  But I didn't feel there was anything WRONG with him at all.  I KNOW this horse.  The vets checked him over AGAIN...all was well.  Pulse, CRI, gut sounds, hydration.  He wanted a snooze.  He did snooze for about half an hour or so, I saddled him up and we finished the ride....in fact, he cantered across the finish line.  I think your horse stretching is similar to my horse napping (he doesn't usually nap in the middle of the ride either but this was different!).  So, LISTEN TO YOUR HORSE and listen to YOUR gut instinct which is my mantra and I believe Scott's now as well!
What does everyone else think?  :)
Miles of smiles,
Maggie
http://arabianquest.com/samaha_arabians.htm
"So many of our dreams seem impossible, then improbable, then inevitable."  Christopher Reeve