[RC] Exercise for Butt cheeks:0) ? - Laurie Durgin

aahhh. His not mine, thanks
Vet was out to give Rascal his West Nile (which I agonized over--supposedly EPM horses aren't to be 'stressed" so advice by others is to give vaccinations singily and spread out. He was due in July, but wanted to let his immune system catch up from the EPM.in May). He did fIne . I'd told the vet about his continued layoff because of the hoof abbcess, that I'd soaked and that he gradually got better. The farrier came out at the end of the front lamenes abcess and said , 'yeah, he's had one ',where we thought.Put front shoes on him (what we have always done because of rocks, had just shod him all way round 2x before epm.)
So I started riding him a bit again last week,rehab time , slow at a walk over ground poles, serpentines, a spiral in, then a spiral out, then a "what was that? step" (a slight stagger step as I turned him the other way. like when you are dizzy).But then ok. I could feel his back end 'stepping down harder'. Finally decided it was like he'd ,'lost his springingness' in the rear.(course it was a bit hard to try to figure as I'd been working with Honey and they have very different gaits and I hadn't been on him ,but twice since May.)
So I closed my eyes, (as I told the vet this , he gave a laugh. I quickly defended myself, saying " for an unprofessionally trained horse, he's actually pretty good', or some such nonsense.
Anyway, I rode him with my eyes closed to feel him better, and I detected what I thought was a slight rotation still in his R rear(he'd dropped and rotated his hip like a puppet when he had epm)
So the vet looked at him and said he has some muscle atrophy on his right butt cheek. I asked him what would help that besides what I was doing . He said right circles.
Now I also know maybe riding hills, when we can work up to it will probably help, but any other arena exercises? I do have to build carefully without overtiring him.
Vet thinks there is good chance he will recover fully. Have about a year for 'en-nervation" to occur, and grow into the space where the muscles lost their original supply.He only has a slight gait abberation now, but seems quite possible that may disappear. he was only Grade 1 lame of 4 grades when we caught it.And 60% recover from epm with treatment at least a grade.
Of course he gets a week off for his West Nile shot.Again, everyone sys to back off of piling up stresses the first 6-12 months.Then we start back with 15-20 min. at a walk.Or less if he sweats under the pad. Laurie/Rascal/HOney/Scout

Instant message with integrated webcam using MSN Messenger 6.0. Try it now FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com