Re: [RC] [Guest] Adios/Metabolic failures@ PAC - Heidi Smith

I'm with you Maggie.  The only time I've seen horses
with IV's, there had been a serious problem.  Perhaps
the vet and rider caught the problem before it got
critical but the problem was already serious.

Maggie posted me privately with more comments and I sent her a private
reply, but I shared some stuff with her that in retrospect might be of
interest to others.

One thing that hasn't been addressed in detail here but was kind of hinted
at in Joe's case is that sometimes the horse may be fine and dandy to
recover metabolically by just eating and drinking, but something happens to
him.  In Joe's case, his horse rolled and got up oddly, and had a cramp.
I've also seen cases with injuries where the following would apply.  The
problem comes when there is some reason OTHER than metabolic crisis that
causes you to want to give the horse medications.  Drugs like Bute and
Banamine can have some real risks in dehydrated horses.  So if the horse has
a suspensory pull well into a long ride, even though he is eating and
drinking fine and would recover just fine metabolically, it would be the
prudent thing to do to jug him to assure that he has enough fluid on board
so that the administration of antiinflamatories doesn't cause him damage.
Just to illustrate that there ARE clinical reasons other than metabolic
crisis why one WOULD want to opt for a jug to hasten the rehydration
process...

That said, I still don't feel that it is something that IS done routinely
"just to recover" nor would I recommend it just for that.

Heidi