[RC] Routine Jugging - Sundaez

In a message dated 9/28/2003 5:52:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time, jlong@xxxxxxxx writes:
Have you ever participated yourself in any distance sport, like
running marathons?  I have.  At the end you feel tired and exhilarated
at the same time.  The effort has inevitably caused some depletions of
bodily fluids, and replacing those fluids does, yes, make you feel
better.  Not because you were sick, or in danger of dieing, or
anything like that.  Just like a cold beer or a good soak in a hot tub
makes you feel better!
I used to be a dancer and I well know that deplted/endorphined  feeling...and how good a hot tub feels...but that is far from putting an IV on to regain my fluids. I imagine I make my horse feel good after a ride by giving her a massage, giving her a sloppy mash and of course letting her drink (to replace the fluids). I have a hunch if I asked her she would prefer to take her fluids orally. And well...if she's not drinking that's a whole 'nother problem which means she NEEDs to be on IVs...are here we come full circle.

Nope, just don't be judgemental of that which you haven't experienced
yourself, please.>>

I hope it  never does happen too...and it will never happen cuz of speed induced dehydration that's for sure. As for judging...well...the only ones that aren't going to judge seeing that are your cohorts. Trust me...it IS shocking to see a horse on IV an equestrian event. Even in showing (which I did for a while) I never saw that..though plenty of other things.

The fact that you can't see getting the horse back to health in a natural way (and remember...AERC is a stickler on that's the way the horse starts the ride) without doing something as invasive as an IV  is the norm at the "big Dog" level is a concern to ME. Why can't the horse drink from a bucket? If not...then something is wrong...
knew the "old hands" would understand, but that there would be some
(especially non-endurance people) who wouldn't.  As you just
demonstrated.>>

And...you have to know....there are LOTS of people like me coming into the sport that feel the same way.

Melanie Snowhite