[RC] Adios - Susan Garlinghouse

Susan, you make me feel very much on the defensive.

No one is making you feel that way except yourself, Amber.

You edited my post for RC and it certainly sounds like >I am making unjust
assumptions,

I snipped relevant phrases, period.  Nothing was changed from your original
comments.

by your giving your >credentials, which are above >reproach and very
impressive, the line as to "WHAT >AM I DOING" is very condescending.

Nothing I can do if you find my background threatening.  The question what
are you doing is a straightforward one---what ARE you doing about the
problem?  Volunteering at rides with vets?  Offering your services to ride
managers or the AERC committees? Looking up published research and offering
factual information?
I don't know.  You want something done about the incidence of horse
deaths---who would you like to get it done?  Jump right in, there's plenty
of work for everyone to help solve the problem.  You were doing a pretty
good job of presenting your fervor over horses dying of metabolic causes,
which is very laudable.  You suggested I was "defending" a horse's death,
when in fact, I put a large part of my life into doing exactly the opposite.
My suggestion to you is to point your energy in a productive direction, and
don't get so upset when others question your hypotheses.

What I am doing is trying to educate myself with >questions to all. I do
not recall in my post, and since >you edited most of the information, where
do I >exaggerate?

As previously stated, in your conclusion that Darolyn's horse was
over-electrolyted, and in your conclusions of the amounts given, when
amounts were never discussed.

BTW, "editing" in my mind suggests a re-writing, as opposed to snipping
relevant phrases in the interest of those on digest.  Please be veeeery
careful in what you are suggesting here.

ientific proof. I am trying to keep an open mind, but I >lso feel that
maybe, just maybe we should look at the >hole picture and elytes are a part
of the big picture.

I agree.

ll of us nobodies should just sit and keep our traps shut >s to sharing our
thoughts.

Oh, phooey.  Please excuse my forthrightness of opinion, but if you want to
run with the big dogs, you need to develop a much thicker skin.  Good thing
you never got into a "discussion" with Tom Ivers.  Your opinions are
welcome, just don't get so bent out of shape if someone
disagrees with them, or questions how you came to your conclusions.

I guess I will shut up now and let all you experts just figure it all out.

Please don't.  Just don't get so defensive about it and you'll contribute
some very good ideas and basis for discussion.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM