From: Marinera@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   100 Milers
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:11:14 EST

I think one of the reasons for the decline of 100 Mile One Day Rides is that
people are afraid to try them. Back in the dark ages there was only one
rideâ??the 100 Mile Tevis Cup Ride. You did not have choices. Now we are
scaring newcomers to death that you have to be superman on a super horse to
go a hundred miles. You do not. The average rider and the average horse can
manage quite nicely.

I think newcomers to endurance riding figure they have to be in super shape
themselves, work out, run many miles on foot, ride the dickens out of the
poor horse. That is not true. Riding your horse in training will get your
own body ready. Then just make sure you donâ??t bring a tired horse to a 100
miler, one worn out by too many training miles and too many 50 milers leading
up to the 100 miler. But don't be afraid of trying a hundred miler. If I can
ride the Tevis at age 76 as someone who literally cannot trot their horse out
for the vets, who has to stand on a milk crate to get topside, then just
about anybody can do it. The only ingredient you canâ??t do without is desire.
Without it, donâ??t even try. 100 Milers tax you mentally more than physically.
Nobody I know condemns anyone for trying. Failing is not the end of the
world. Daring to risk failure will make you a bigger person regardless of the
outcome. Just remember that your top priority is not crossing the finish line
but being a compassionate rider, a rider who recognizes when his horse has
had enough for that day. You will find that if your horse is up to the
challenge, you will find the inner strength to hang on and go with him.
Donâ??t doubt it for a minute. You canâ??t soar if you donâ??t try. Julie

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net.