Re: [RC] 100 Milers - Heidi Smith

>  Perhaps, rather than looking at it as 100 miles, we should look at it as getting to ride for only 24 hours (or a little less).
    It's only one day, after all.
    And, when a rider goes in to it knowing that, it seems to "temper" the day.
    Going into a hundred in a hurry usually ensures an early "finish" for the horse and rider, but not necessarily a completion.

Good strategy, Frank.  Personally, I divide 100's into a series of short "training rides" in my mind--I just "condition" from vet check to vet check.  ("Hmmm, 17 miles to the next vet check??  Hey, a 17-mile training ride is a piece of cake!  We can do that in our sleep!")  100 miles seems like a long way if you've never done one, or haven't done one in awhile (me!), but the distance to the next vet check is within reach of most of us.  :-)

Heidi