Re: [RC] [Guest] TNC - Truman Prevatt

It almost seems that the NC land is in a gray area. True private land is on the tax rolls, but the NC land is given a special exemption and their land is taken off the tax rolls. The money they used to buy land is raised as tax exempt - the donors can write it off their taxes. In some places they are using their large ownership to exert influence. In the future I would expect that taking large tracks of land out of the tax rolls will come back to bit local governments.

I doubt if it has anything to do with the federal government, but I must say they have themselves a very profitable "racket." The managers in the NC and the board all get hefty monetary compensation.

Truman

Ridecamp Moderator wrote:

John Bass jbass@xxxxxxxxxxxx
I don't follow all this very closely, so I am not familiar with
any lobbying of the NC to ban horses from PUBLIC lands... but if
they choose to close trails on Nature Conservancy owned land, it
is their perogative, as those are NOT public lands but privately
owned lands, and they can do with them as they please....
unless, of course, you don't believe in private property rights,

Around where I live the NC buys property then it is then taken off the tax rolls. I do believe in private property rights and would certainly like to not pay the taxes.
I have always thought, and still do, that the NC is a frontrunner for the Federal Government. All the ranches North of here (Beatty Nevada) are on the NC hit list.
The last ranch the NC bought, they turned around and sold part of it to the Death Valley National Park manager, a federal employee.
John