Re: [RC] Trivia Question - longevity - DreamWeaver

At 10:18 AM 9/27/2003 -0400, Maggie Mieske wrote:
What would some speculate is the "secret" to their success?  Is it the
horse?  The rider?  The conditioning program?  A combination of all of those
things (seems probable and logical)?  Inquiring minds want to know.  :)

There are a couple of things that stand out within some of those riders that I know. I think that the ability to pace their horse on the trail has a lot to do with how they have done. When you keep a horse going at a steady consistent pace, you are less likely to run into problems than if you are going down the trail like a rubber band.

Another thing that is important is that you have a horse that lets you make mistakes, but not ones so bad that it ends up really causing problems. So in a way I guess, the horse has to be smarter than the rider <G>. (I mean that as a compliment, I'm not saying that any of these riders are not smart)

I also don't think there are any real secrets, just dedication and a commitment. I think that anybody who wants to learn and do right by their horse CAN. I also believe that your luck is what you make of it. We can all have bad days where things go wrong, but the successful riders are able to turn it around and go on without it dragging them down, or repeating their errors. You have to believe in yourself, and in your horse. I know that these riders have all had failure of some sort, but they learned from it. You don't become experienced in this sport without learning from your mistakes. You would not know very much if every time you rode nothing went wrong.

Karen
in NV