Re: [RC] Howard & War Cry - Typef

Just out of curiousity, what is the formula that Howard uses in writing his posts that makes people come unglued? I took his post as a well-meaning heart-felt look into his soul. I've been doing it a lot lately myself. He was just sharing his innermost thoughts with his "friends"... I for one, would like to thank Howard for sharing his feelings. It only serves to validate that "shit" does happen, no matter what.

Jackie
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 10:37 AM
Subject: RE: [RC] Howard & War Cry

Gosh Howard ... why don't we just bubblewrap our horses and never leave the barn with them?  Things happen -- to horses, people, dogs, cats, every living being  -- that's life!

I used to have an Arabian gelding I bought as a 4-month old.  Trained him myself.  I did lots of trail riding. One day I was out on a slow pleasure ride with a friend when my horse suddenly just laid down right in the middle of the trail.  Colic!  Walked him back to the trailer and rushed him to the vet.  By the time we got there all symptoms were gone.  He was fine.  He had a particularly bad colic episode in the winter a year or so later and was at the vet for two weeks with an impaction.  It took a year for him to be rideable again.  He seemed to be doing fine, but colicked again at a horse show just standing tied to the trailer.  I took him to a nearby well-respected equine facility where he was scoped, tested, prodded and pronounced fit and healthy.  A month later he was dead.  It turns out he had a birth defect -- his intestine was adhered to something (its been a long time and I've forgotten the details) and it finally tore away.  He was put down.  He was only 9.   I sold my truck and trailer and said "that's it" --- no more horses.  That lasted about 6 months -- until another horse came into my life and they have been there ever since.

So should I have quit trail riding because my horse colicked?  Should I quit tying him to the trailer because he coliked?  Should I quit feeding him because he colicked after eating?  Do you quit driving a car if you have an accident?

Get out there and do whatever horse sport appeals to you.  Give your horse the best care you can.  If you own horses (or any animal for that matter) at some point something is going to happen --  just deal, learn and move on.

Well, I'm going out to the barn, peel the bubble wrap off my horse and go for a ride!

Karen

 Karen Williams
Spotsylvania, VA
www.mattariver.com