Re: [RC] on newbies - Lysane Cree

Well, luckily not all of us neophytes, newbies,
rookies, etc. follow the endurance gospel blindly :)
I have been reading ridecamp and asking questions,
etc.  for a couple of years now and I think, as with
anything, that you have to take some and leave some.
Because horse's are individuals with different needs,
so most advice will probably need a little adjustment
to my particualr conditions. But it still remains that
the advice, stories and experiences shared, and
opinions voiced are quite invaluable to a person like
me trying to get going in the sport. So there have
been some roadblocks (school full time, no trailer,
horse issues, etc.) along the way, but I'll get there
eventually. But I will be as prepared as I can be when
the opportunity for my second ride comes along.:)
I had never heard of hyponatremia (sp.??) and I have
learned tons this week. I won't keep a horse from
drinking though. But I will think twice about any
tubing procedure that dumps a large quantity of fluids
into my horse's stomach! And I wouldn't stop giving
e-lytes, but I will carefully consider the brand of
e-lytes I give, the quantity and leave room for
adjustments based on weather. And I won't just dump
them down the horse's throat. What I have learned is
that mixing them into the food whenever possible is a
good idea and mixing them up with something so that
they don't just hit the mouth & stomach as plain
e-lytes is also a good idea. And they won't cure an
already compromised horse.
However, if your father worked for General Motors for
30 years, you really would believe that all Dodges
lose their transmissions. Hahaha o.k. so I'm biased
towards GM/Chevrolet trucks. Never said I was perfect.
LOL :)

Lysane

<Gosh...it really disturbs me seeing some endurance
<neophytes taking as gospel, the advice to not
<electrolyte during rides.

Angie wrote:
<Yep. So far this week they've learned that too much
<water will kill them and electrolytes will give them
ulcers. Scarey isn't it?  You can add to that that
goosenecks roll, all Dodges lose their transmissions,
all Ortho-Flexes rub, everybody is rude to
LD'ers...the list goes on and on. All I can tell
people is before you change something, step out of
virtual           reality, go to a ride and look
around. Ask. Watch. If one person has a particular
opinion and they're like a few of us who post a lot
you may assume that the majority think that. Not
necessarilly. The majority
will glance at a post, think, "That's rediculous" but
never sit down and take the time to type out what they
think.