Re: [RC] [RC] electrolytes - Sisu West Ranch

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that their is a heirearchy of
metabolic needs for the horse to keep him going down the trail.  As a result
one shouldn't do anything to compromise a more important requirement while
trying to help a less important one.  As I see it the needs are:

1. Air   Deprived of air a horse dies in a few minutes.
2. Water.  If to much is lost a horse is in trouble quickly. let him drink
at every opportunity
3. Forage.  If the gut isn't full there is no source of stored water, and
lytes.  Gut sounds stop and colic happens.
4. Temperature control.  Blanket when cold, apply water when hot.
(sometimes water on front, blanket on rear)
5. Extra 'lytes.  Strenuous exercise and sweating will deplete 'lytes faster
and in a larger quantity than are in the normal bodily reserves.
6. Rest.  Allows rebuilding of reserves and tissue.  Can wait for a day or
so. with no problems.
7. Extra calories from grain or oil.  Needed to keep the weight on our hard
working horses, but can wait until after the ride.

So by this reasoning, supplimental 'lytes are a bit of the way down on the
list; therefore, they should be given in amounts and form that do not hinder
breathing, drinking or eating. (normally no conflict with temperature
control- you can do that while giving 'lytes   ...but there could be if you
didn't immediately blanket a hot horse on a cold day because you were trying
to find the 'lytes)

I know that this is a bit of an oversimplification, but I am trying to
illustrate the points that:

1. 'Lytes are not a magic material.  100 mile rides have been completed
without supplimental 'lytes.
2. If some are good, a lot are not necessarily better.  Americans (and
perhaps all humans) tend to think that if some(of anything)is good a lot is
much better.  Many times the right amount is good, but more is disaster.

Ed

Ed and Wendy Hauser
Sisu West
2994 Mittower Road