[RC] Closure of Cuneo Creek Horse Camp (CA) - Onefarmgirl

Hi all - at last weekend's Cuneo Creek Endurance Ride, I mentioned that the
horse campground was closing the Monday following our ride.   The camp has
since been closed.   The current plan is that they will re-open Memorial Day
weekend, funds permitting.   This is the first time the campground has closed
since
the lands were donated decades ago.  Many folks were hoping to get info about
how to help.

Cuneo Creek is a part of the Humboldt Redwoods State Park.  The reason for
the closure is the California state budget shortfall.   However, the costs
associated w/leaving the campground open seem to be limited to maintenence (a
daily
cleaning of the bathroom and emptying of the trashcans) and oversight by the
rangers.  At the time the decision was made, a full time volunteer camp host
was already in place, but was advised he could not remain.

Most frustrating to many of us was that two years ago we worked closely with
the local State Parks Administration, and formed a Mounted Assistance Unit,
based at Cuneo Creek Campground.  This unit has donated literally hundreds of
volunteer hours of park patrol.   In spite of this, and offers on the part of
our group to assume some responsibility for maintenence of the campground, we
have not been included in any discussion of the problems or possible solutions.

We would very much like to encourage the State Park officials to re-consider
letting us help maintain the campground in return for leaving it open for
fall and spring riding.

If interested, you can direct letters to your State representatives, or to
the local park officials (addresses below) and *copy you local state reps*.
Thanks for your input.

Pat Farmer

CA State Parks District Superintendent John Kolb
North Coast Redwoods District
3431 Fort Avenue
Eureka, CA   95503

Sector Superintendent Steve Horvitz